to promote excellence in occupational therapy
CAOT provides access to information and resources related to occupational therapy to anyone with a professional or general interest in occupational therapy. We offer several categories of membership, to ensure you find the correct fit for you!
CAOT welcomes occupational therapists who meet one of the requirements outlined below to register as individual members:
- Canadian citizen or established primary residency in Canada AND have successfully completed the National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination (NOTCE); OR
- Qualified for full registration (without restrictions) from a Canadian occupational therapy regulatory body.
Please note: Occupational therapists who were awarded grandfathered membership in 1986 or those meeting the criteria for the exam waiver are also invited to register as individual members.
For individuals who have not met the first criteria above, registration is contingent upon providing CAOT with documentation
(within 1 month of online registration) of current or previous registration with a Canadian regulatory body (without restrictions).
Individual membership is available in the following three categories:
- Full-Time Member – Individuals who will work more than 800 hours between October 1st and September 30th
- Part-Time Member – Individuals who will work between 1 and 800 hours between October 1st and September 30th
- Non-Practicing Member– Individuals who are not expecting to work between October 1st and September 30th may register as non-practicing members by selecting from the list of options provided below. Should an individual resume working within the period noted above, it will be necessary for them to upgrade their status from non-practicing to the appropriate category. ***Individuals located outside Canada, who meet the requirements for individual membership, are required to register under the non-practicing category.
- Practicing outside Canada
- Unemployed but anticipating return to practice in the future
- Planning to return to practice within the year
- Employed in a position unrelated to occupational therapy
- Extended/permanent leave of absence from the profession
- Maternity/Parental Leave
- Full-time graduate student
Individual members are eligible to vote and are entitled to a comprehensive list of member benefits, including professional liability insurance. For specific details about member benefits or liability insurance, please use the links provided at the bottom of the page.