Areas of advocacy
CAOT advocates on behalf of occupational therapists and their clients to government, policy makers and third-party payors so that they understand how essential occupational therapy services are when they are making significant decisions that affect our profession. CAOT partners with other national organizations that share common goals to ensure one united voice in order to inform health system planning at all levels of government.
Our areas of advocacy currently include:
- Increasing the use of occupational therapists within the Canadian Forces and Veterans Affairs Canada, especially in areas of primary health care and mental health services
- Raise the profile of occupational therapy solutions to deal with specific issues relevant to Corrections Canada, Health Canada, Canada Border services, Citizenship and Immigration, Human Resource Service Development, and Public service unions.
- Facilitate access to occupational therapy services by expanding extended health care coverage of occupational therapy services by insurance companies.
- Areas of advocacy
- Advocating for the Profession
- Advocacy 2013: A Year in Review
- Federal Election Campaign 2015
- CAOT Riding Initiatives
- CAOT OT Resources
- Cost-effectiveness of Occupational Therapy in Canada
- Extended Health Insurance Lobby
- Influencing Public Policy
- Our initiatives
- Partnerships with National Groups