Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists

Internationally Educated Occupational Therapists

As of May 1, 2015, occupational therapists who have completed their OT education outside of Canada – including Canadians who travelled outside Canada for their OT education – and who want to register for practice anywhere in Canada (except Quebec), must first apply to the Association of Canadian Occupational Therapy Regulatory Organizations (ACOTRO) to complete a new assessment process called the Substantial Equivalency Assessment System (SEAS). The process has several steps and associated fees. 

Once applicants have been assessed through SEAS, they can apply to a Canadian provincial occupational therapy regulatory body for registration.  In other words, SEAS will be the first step in the registration process for anyone educated outside of Canada.

For more information about the new assessment process, please visit ACOTRO at:

Immigration and Employment in Canada

Other Professionals

CAOT only accepts requests from occupational therapists. All other professions, e.g. physiotherapists, activity therapists, rehabilitation therapists, recreational therapists, etc. should visit the web site for the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials, or perform an Internet search in order to contact the appropriate organization in Canada.

A wide selection of products, great offers and more. THE CAOT STORE