Action on the environment
We’re making a difference!
The Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists believes that it must act responsibly to reduce, reuse and recycle to lessen energy consumption, decrease carbon emissions and protect the environment.
At national office, we have introduced a number of ‘green’ initiatives to ensure that we are operating in a manner that is respectful of the environment. The following are just some of our efforts:
- To cut down on the amount of electricity that is consumed, CAOT uses energy efficient office equipment and turns off computers, copiers and office lights at the end of each working day.
- During the summer months, employees are encouraged to work from home during days of peak energy consumption to help lower carbon emissions.
- To reduce the amount of carbon emissions through air travel, CAOT uses technology such as teleconferences, videoconferences, webinars and live classroom as an alternative to face-to-face meetings and events.
- All of our print materials including publications, brochures, annual reports, conference products, and CAOT magazines Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy and Occupational Therapy Now are produced using recycled paper and environmentally-friendly vegetable-based inks.
- We encourage the use of electronic versions of CAOT communications and publications and have moved to on-line ordering, registrations and surveys to reduce the use of paper. When printing or copying is necessary, CAOT uses two-sided reproduction.
- Our office is equipped with regular tableware and cutlery instead of paper plates, cups and plastic ware allowing for waste-free catering.
- CAOT uses supplies made from recycled products whenever possible.
- Our used office equipment and furnishings are donated to programs and organizations who provide a way for businesses to ethically and responsibly dispose of computers and furniture thereby reducing waste in landfills. Much of the donated equipment and furnishings are refurbished and distributed to charitable organizations in the community.
- Last year, a permanent theme for the annual occupational therapy awareness campaign was adopted. This initiative is not only cost effective for member organizations, but allows the reuse of marketing materials, publications and promotional items.
- The CAOT national office promotes the use of recycled paper products and printer cartridges are recycled to avoid producing waste and contaminating landfills.
- All publications and print materials that are outdated or obsolete are recycled again when we are finished with them.