Volunteers are an integral component of CAOT’s success, helping the Association further its mission of advancing excellence in occupational therapy. In turn, contributing to a CAOT committee, board or workshop can provide a valuable work and social experience that generates a sense of personal achievement and satisfaction. Volunteer roles come in a wide range of time commitments and responsibilities. Here is a list of opportunities for CAOT members to consider:
Represent CAOT on a coalition or task force. CAOT relies on volunteers with expertise in key areas to represent the association; to engage with government influencers at all levels, other health professionals and consumers. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer at CAOT Conference . CAOT’s conference is the annual gathering of the occupational therapy profession and an ideal opportunity to network and learn by taking on a volunteer role. Find out more about CAOT conferences and send your inquiry to email@example.com
Become an Author/Writer. There are several avenues to contribute to the body of knowledge of occupational therapy as an author and writer:
- Submit a book proposal for review by CAOT Publications.
- Submit a manuscript to the Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy (CJOT) , using guidelines and resources available online.
- Respond to a call for papers to contribute to CAOT’s practice magazine, Occupational Therapy Now (OT Now) .
- Respond to the Call for Papers for the annual CAOT Conference and submit an abstract for review (Fall).
Become a Reviewer . Apply your expertise to posted opportunities and gain valuable insight into the workings of the profession.
- Accreditation reviewer.
- Content reviewer for a CAOT Publication .
- Conference abstract reviewer. Each year, a team of subject experts evaluate submitted abstracts, to select those to be featured at the annual CAOT Conference. Interested? Inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Product reviewer for the CAOT Product Recognition Program. Help you, your colleagues and consumers make informed choices.
Become a Presenter . CAOT Professional Development delivers workshops and webinars on topics that translate knowledge and advance practice.
Contribute to an editorial board. Watch for a call for editorial board members for CJOT or OT Now , posted as opportunities arise. From time to time, OT Now topic editors are sought to evaluate articles for publication suitability.
NOTCE item generator . Participate in an item generation workshop for the National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination (NOTCE) , to create exam questions and cases. Contact email@example.com .
Join an Occupational Therapy network. Consider involvement with a core group of members and associates with similar interests.
Become active in a CAOT chapter . CAOT-BC and CAOT-QC are supported by a regional Advisory Committee to promote information sharing and coordinated planning on provincial occupational therapy issues. Watch for a call for committee members in OT Weekly and chapter communications.
Take part in research initiatives. Consult CAOT Research Listing page to get involved in the latest initiatives to advance the body of knowledge that support occupational therapy practice.