Benefits and Services
CAOT is pleased to offer you access to valuable services and resources, which have been created through collaboration with occupational therapists across Canada and designed especially to promote excellence in what we do.
Access to the BarkBuilder website design platform.
Exclusive to CAOT Members and Associates. BarkBuilder is an extremely flexible and robust content management system. Unlike other tools out there, BarkBuilder is fully hosted, which means that members won’t have to go out and find a website host. At its most basic level, members can literally sign up and create a website in a matter of minutes. Alternatively, the platform can allow for significant customization as well.
With over 2,000 active clients, BarkBuilder comes with simple, familiar web-based tools – no programming or HTML needed. Create pages using text, images, links, and even video. Blogs, calendars, file downloads, interactive photo galleries, and forms are a snap. Want to offer private member-only sections or view website's traffic statistics? BarkBuilder takes care of it! For graphic designers and web developers that want even greater functionality through integrated CSS and scripting, BarkBuilder makes integration simple.
Free Access to a Variety of Journals and Online Research Materials
CAOT offers a number of useful and informative online journals including the American Journal of Occupational Therapy (AJOT), the British Journal of Occupational Therapy (BJOT), Australian Occupational Therapy Journal (AOTJ), New Zealand Journal of Occupational Therapy (NZJOT), the Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy (CJOT) and Occupational Therapy Now (OTNow). These resources are all available through the member/associate section of our website. Individual members and associates living in Canada have the option of receiving a hard copy of CJOT and OTNow or accessing it online.
Individual members and associates living outside Canada can access the journals online or pay an additional subscription fee of $65.00 to cover international shipping costs.
Access to and Discounts on Publications, Promotional Items, Workshops and Conferences
CAOT offers members and associates a variety of publications and promotional items at discounted rates. To see a list of publication titles or to browse our promotional items, please click here.
Access to Lunch and Learn and Water Cooler Talks Workshops
CAOT supports occupational therapists in their professional development and continuing education.
- Lunch & Learns present various topics of interest and innovative presentations that encourage knowledge dissemination and evidence-informed practice. Lunch & Learns are available to both CAOT members and non-members.
- Water Cooler Talks inform members on CAOT projects, updates and initiatives. These are exclusive to CAOT members
Access to the continuously growing and innovative annual CAOT Conference.
Members and associates are eligible for reduced rates for the Annual CAOT conference. The annual conference includes over 370 presenters who share their knowledge and experience, the annual Muriel Driver Memorial Lectureship Award winner and innovative Professional Issue Forums and dynamic pre- and post-conference workshops on relevant topics such as leadership, arthritis care, being an expert witness, driving evaluation, hand anatomy, home modification and wheelchair prescription.
- The 2014 Conference will be held in Fredericton, New Brunswick on May 7-10 2014. To find out more please click here.
- The 2015 Conference will be held in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
NEW Access to the Members and Associate Assistance Program (MAAP)
CAOT announces that effective October 1st; we will be switching our MAAP provider to Ceridian Lifeworks. Lifeworks uniquely delivers 95% of its MAAP services in person and works with specialized, rather than general counsellors.
The core MAAP services Lifeworks provides are:
- 24/7 Service Centres where every call or email is answered by a trained consultant, providing the caller with confidential access to resources, tools and support.
- Specialized Counsellors where the caller can access immediate counselling of professionals with a minimum of a Master’s Degree in counselling, social work, psychology or a related mental health profession. In addition, the counsellor will provide assessment, referrals, planning and follow-ups.
- In-Person Counselling where Lifeworks has over 3,000 professional counsellors in Canada.
- Lifeworks is online and Mobile via an award-winning MAAP website, and a mobile application for iPhone, Blackberry, and Android smartphones users.
Additional MAAP services offer Training and Development Sessions including effectiveness seminars and other specialized services, Comprehensive Ceridian Learning Solutions, Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) Services, and Critical Incident Stress Management.
At only $48.00 per year, the MAAP is a very affordable service. This level of professional support privately would cost an average of $130.00/hour. Please note that participation in the program is limited to individuals in Canada.
Informative Position Statements
CAOT is pleased to provide an updated list of position statements on a variety of topics including, our latest on Professional identity, individual responsibility and public accountability through the use of title in Occupational Therapy, Primary Care and Enabling Health Literacy. For the complete list of position statements, please click here.
OT Finder is an online database that allows clients to find an occupational therapist by region and area of professional practice. It also serves as a useful professional networking tool. OT Finder.
If you are interested in appearing on OT Finder, and haven’t yet chosen to do so upon renewal, please activate this feature on your profile page. (it is important to note that only members who are registered in their provincial regulatory organization are eligible to be listed in this database).
CAOT offers a number of helpful resources and tools to support you in your practice. We encourage you to take full advantage of them and also think about helping to develop other resources that will inform emerging areas of practice.
- Our Network, which includes a network sponsored by CAOT that will connect you with colleagues and allow you to exchange information regarding research and practice. Our Occupational Therapy Practice Communities include Mental Health and Addictions, Oncology, Private Practice among others.
- Mentoring Gateway, Mentor Gateway is to connect mentors and mentees with information and resources about mentoring and to provide links to information you may be seeking. Additionally, the Mentor Gateway may also connect you with a potential mentor through the OT Networker Service.
- Information Gateway, a portal that provides you with valuable tools and resources to help you with evidence-based occupational therapy practice.
HT Health Works
CAOT member and associate have access to the HT Health Works website, which will allow you and your family, or clients, the ability to monitor personal health history. Members and associates can monitor health information in a personal account. Members and associates can record measurement readings (blood glucose, cholesterol, and blood pressure), medications, allergies, medical history, family history, procedures, and immunizations. You can even record information regarding your health plans and healthcare providers. Please use referral ID: CAOT when registering.
Membership to WFOT
The World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT) promotes occupational therapy as an art and science internationally. The Federation supports the development, use and practice of occupational therapy worldwide, demonstrating its relevance and contribution to society.
For a minimal price of $30 (plus tax), CAOT members can become an individual member of the WFOT and receive all the benefits and resources therein.
For more information or if you would like to become a member of WFOT, please contact Member and Associate Services
Eligibility for use of OT(C) with signature
CAOT individual members may include OT(C) in their signature line, where not prohibited by regulatory legislation. The credential OT(C) indicates that they have met the standards required to be an individual member of CAOT.
CAOT members and associates are eligible to be recognized for outstanding service and practice through the CAOT Awards Program. The CAOT Awards are presented at the Conference each year.
Discount on ALL book purchases from Wiley-Blackwell
CAOT members and associates are eligible to receive a 20% discount on ALL books from Wiley-Blackwell.
Discounted CAA Rates
CAOT offers discounted Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) membership to “NEW” CAA applicants (some conditions apply). For more information or to register, please contact our CAA representative.
For specific details, please contact Member and Associate Services.